Welcome!


I'm glad you're here. Please make yourself at
home and enjoy this journey with me!


Monday, January 4, 2010

God Bless the Children....

Like many of you, today was my first day back to work since the holidays. I work in a doctor's office. Generally speaking, it is fun to meet people who come in for eye exams and new glasses. Many of our patients have been coming to our office for several years, and that being the case, we often develop nice relationships. My favorite patients are the kids. Kids tend to come back to us more often because they are....well....kids! Usually they're needing glasses adjusted or repaired--sometimes even replaced--simply because kids are not always as careful with their glasses as their adult counterparts.

Last year I met a little girl and her dad. We'll call her Bethany (not her real name). Bethany is being raised by her dad, who happens to work in the state penal system. My first encounter with Bethany and her dad made me so angry I had to go to the break room to pull myself together. "The Dad" was so incredibly sharp and mean with his child that I wanted to slug him. Bethany couldn't breathe without a flurry of criticisms from the man who is responsible for her constant care. While I don't doubt that this little girl can be a handful, I have a fear that "The Dad" is constantly roughing her up verbally and emotionally because of his anger at her mother. I don't know who or where her mother is. But Bethany carries a certain look in her eyes that breaks my heart--like she's doing everything as right as she possibly can, hoping that sooner or later she will finally win her daddy's approval and acceptance of the person she is in this world!

From that first meeting, we've seen Bethany on several occasions for various repairs and adjustments. Each time, I've held my breathe and gritted my teeth. Each time, I continue to have a sense of forboding for this child's safety. What if he is hitting her? What if he bullies her in the privacy of their home, simply because he can?

Today "The Dad" called in to change Bethany's 4:00 appointment to another date. He said she had a "sledding accident" which left her with "an injured hand and a pretty banged up face". I did my best to encourage "The Dad" to go ahead and bring her in, but he decided he needed to reschedule it "because she says she doesn't 'feel up to coming in'." In the background, I could hear her protests at not keeping the appointment. And for some reason, I am afraid she didn't even have a sledding accident. Rather, I would not be at all surprised if that little girl is hiding a very serious secret......and my heart aches for her.

She is only one child of millions on this earth who are living in dysfunctional home situations (and I am not referring to the fact that "The Dad" is a single parent. I am speaking with regard to the incredibly strict and harsh manner that he has with this child.) But that one little girl grips my heart each and every time I see her. If it were in my power to make it happen, she would be in a loving home with two parents who loved each other, God, and her with utter abandon. She wouldn't have that look in her eyes that makes me want to wrap my arms around her and tell her how precious, how beautiful, and how bright she is. The thing that I cannot wrap my mind around is that there are "Bethanys" by the score all around the world.

Because I have never seen a mark on her, I have not contacted Child Protective Services. It isn't because I haven't wanted to--believe me, I have desperately wanted to call them. But, she is always clean, is of a healthy weight, gets yearly eye exams, and attends private school. I pray that "The Dad" is only an overly-strict and overwhelmed parent who is doing his very best to raise this child alone. Oh, how I pray that is the case. To call CPS just because "I have a feeling" , or because I don't agree with how "The Dad" speaks to his child would have no impact. But trust me, if EVER I see the signs of physical abuse, I will be on the phone in a hot New York minute!!

Dear God....bless this little girl and all the others like her! Bless the ones who have been mistreated on any and all levels.....and Lord.......reveal Yourself to each one......bless the children!!

Prayerfully,
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment